The Welcoming Centre exists to create a safe, supportive and welcoming space for refugee families, people seeking asylum, recently arrived migrants, and the local community.
Tuesdays: Drop in Centre open 10.00am – 2.00pm
3.30pm – 5.30pm: Chai and Conversation social program (to practice conversational English – all welcome)
Thursdays: Drop in Centre open 10.00am – 2.00pm
10:30am – 12:00pm: English class (beginning and intermediate)
Monthly Community Dinners are on hold until further notice, due to Covid-19 restrictions
Closed Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
Check our Facebook for more details.
Established in 2013, and based in suburban Adelaide (South Australia), the Centre provides access to essential services, social support and intercultural connection – with a focus on building authentic relationships that help people to engage more effectively in the diversity of Australian life.
Coordinated by a part-time manager, the reach and impact of the Centre relies heavily on the generosity of sponsors, donors, and community volunteers.
Community partners include: Lutheran Community Care, Baptist Care SA, Time For Kids (Relationships Australia SA), Survivors of Torture and Trauma and Rehabilitation Service (STARRS), Australian Refugee Association (ARA), AMES, Red Cross SA, St. Vincent de Paul Society (SA) – Migration Refugee Services, JusticeNet, Mercy House and HOST International.
Each year, hundreds of families and individuals engage with the Welcoming Centre.
Services provided at the Centre include:
- Referrals to various support services and employment pathways
- Access to emergency food and other assistance for those facing hardship
- our priority focus is people on temporary visas who aren’t eligible for any Government assistance throughout the Covid-19 pandemic (people seeking asylum, international students and skilled migrants)
- English language classes and social English gatherings
- Community Dinners
- Community Garden
- Narrative and performance such as the Adelaide Fringe event – Refugee Stories, Secret Recipes and Dinner
- Community picnics and participation in other social and sporting events